Tuesday, April 28, 2009

It's a small world after all...

Oh yes, it really is a small world after all. I was sitting in Barnes and Nobles today, with a friend, sipping my coffee frappachino just chatting about this and that. Suddenly, I spotted a man to my left and my heart jumped. I recognized him as someone I knew on the missionfield! Or at least that's what I thought! "Was that just Mr. Harrar??," I asked myself!? I mentioned it to my friend, and she probably thought I was crazy, at first. I had to find out though, so I walked over there carefully, making sure it wouldn't be awkward if I had just mistaken him for someone else.

But, sure enough, it was him! Michael and Beverley Harrar worked over in Papua New Guinea at the same mission base, Ukarumpa, that my parents worked at. Bev was probably my favorite English teacher ever, and she also was my 9th grade bible study leader. She is an adult who had a significant impact on me as a teenager, and I appreciate the things she taught me and how she helped me grow as a young person in the Lord. So, I sat and chatted with Mr. Harrar, wondering WHY IN THE WORLD HE WAS IN MANSFIELD, OHIO of ALL the places! The Harrars are currently living in Lancaster, PA so I was very confused when I first saw him. He was here to speak at a Wycliffe Associates banquet at the Dutch Heritage Restauraunt, right next to the hotel I work at! He invited me to come along tonight, so I grabbed a friend to go with me, and I attended this event. It was so great! The whole day seems unreal to me, though. Hopefully I'll be able to catch up more with Michael, and Bev, next week in columbus!

My mind is all over the place tonight. This is a good reason to write, I guess, except that I should be studying for a Psychology test right now. :)

Sometimes I live my life so forgetful of the fact that I was born and grew up in a jungle. So forgetful of how important the work was that my parents and so many missionaries are involved in! So forgetful of who I am. But, after moments like today, I feel so connected again. I remember. I realize how small this world really is and it makes me just smile at how God works out little things like what happened today. I also realized something else about myself today. I realized how different I view missions now that I'm an adult. As a child and teenager, I knew I was in a cool place and I knew what my parents did was important. It's not like I had conversations about missions all the time, or that I had understanding of what was always going on around me. But now that I'm here in the U.S., and now that I've grown older, I recognize how important it all is. I see all the undercover work that goes on to keep translation projects moving forward, to get the gospel preached to the nations!! It excites me and I want to be involved in whatever way God leads me. Whether it be through prayer, giving, or possibly going on the mission field again one day.

I just felt like I learned a lot today. I definitley felt the presence of God as well. Then, when I got home, I found out that my friend's father who has been battling cancer for awhile now, passed away this morning. It is sad and hard to deal with loss. It's hard to know how to respond to a friend. It is hard to trust God sometimes. God IS so present though. God IS so loving and so beautiful. God IS so trustworthy. I'm so thankful for his presence and how He reminds me of His power and how He is working in this world all the time. Please pray for this family who is grieving. Also, thank the Lord for his presense and for the many gifts he lavishes on us daily. I know today, I am thankful for a God who is understanding of my needs and loves me like no other.

No comments:

Post a Comment