Monday, April 27, 2009

Leaving a Mark

Well, I've been meaning to create a blog for a long time. I'm not quite sure why I even want to do it, because part of me feels like it could be a complete waste of my time. Who wants to read what I have to say, anyway? It is just another password to remember, another page to stay up to date on.
But, I have decided (at least at the moment), that a blog is different. It feels so freeing to write. Even if you are not an English major, or even if you have hideous spelling and grammar, writing is still freeing. Writing is a way to express emotion. Writing is a way to express what is important to you. Writing is a way to share who you are to those people who might care. Writing can leave you confused, encouraged, or challenged. Best of all, it can leave you contemplative of a lot more. I want to be more contemplative about deep issues of life, and even just more contemplative about the simpler issues that just seem to go without notice. So, I have decided that creating and writing in a blog could be very rewarding. It can be a tool for expressing some of my thoughts that I have a hard time expressing anywhere else. Even if no one understands me, that is OK. It will be good for me to write. But, I also like to believe that if one person reads something I have to share and relates to what I have to say, or is encouraged by it, then it is also worth it.
In living life we are constantly leaving marks on people. They can be positive or negative. They can be very small and seemingly insignificant. What we do and say can seem to be ignored, or forgotten, about 95% of the time. We can feel useless and we can lose hope of making a difference in this world. But then, one person is touched. One person tells you that you have helped them. One person tells you that you inspire them. One person tells you that you remind them of Christ. One person tells you that you have left a mark on them. One is not insignificant.
So, I choose to write a blog. I choose to live my monotonous life making the most of every opportunity, whether it seems dull or exciting. I choose to speak truth instead of lies. I choose to love instead of hate. I choose to be a light instead of darkness. And, I mess up sometimes. But that too, can leave a mark in the way I choose to respond to my mistakes. I choose to leave a mark.

1 comment: